Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Baxter Avenue Summer Midnight Movies

Just got back from seeing UP at Baxter Ave Theaters. Three out of the past four movies I've seen lately have been animated AND in 3-D. I'm still not 100% behind this whole 3-D thing; I hate the glasses. They itch behind my ears, and they fog up... when you cry.

UP is SAD, my people. SAD, sad, sad, very sad. The only thing sadder than sad old people are sad kids. UP has 'em both. Check and check.

I'm a s-u-c-k-e-r when it comes to sad kids' movies though.

I bawled in the middle of LILO and STITCH when Stitch is lost in the middle of the woods and lies down and cries, "I want my family!" in his wistful little hummy voice. At the beginning of the LION KING (surprisingly not when Dad bites it), I always, without fail, cry when they lift the baby Simba up and all the creatures bow. And I cried so hard during The MARCH OF THE PENGUINS that the little girl in front of me asked her mom if she thought "that lady was going to be okay."

Luckily, it looks like none of Baxter's Splodin' Summer Series of Midnight Movies are tear jerkers (because I get more weepy the more tired I am). Here's the schedule, kids:
  • June 13: Superman (1978)
  • June 27: Heavy Metal
  • July 4: Independence Day
  • July 11: Batman (1989)
  • August 8: Masters of the Universe
  • August 22: Grindhouse
  • August 29: North by Northwest
All great movies on the big screen-- none that get my knickers in a knot, though. Only Superman... and I'll be at Bonnaroo for that.

Just thought I'd share. A mediocre movie at midnight is better than no movie at midnight at all.

1 comment:

The Duke said...

North By Northwest doesn't put a knot in your undies? I'd think it would be your type of kink.