Friday, July 9, 2010

Happy to be Home

If you're ever feeling a little less than "yourself" one of these days, I highly recommend a cure of equal parts mountains, frog ponds, old friends, new friends, family, sea breezes, other people's children, blood orange margaritas, and copious consumption of lobster.  Truly, Mama has just come back from spending 10 days living the good life in the region from whence she came.  New England is the site for many of my happiest places on earth, most of which I got to visit while I was there:  Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard, Stonington Borough in Connecticut, Grandma Lou's house outside of Boston, and new favorite Stowe in Vermont.  (Other happiest New England place, Fenway Park, was a no go this year)

I can't remember the last time I was tanned and rested.  I've been tanned in the past few years.  I've been rested.  But never the two at the same time.  It's a rather lovely feeling, kiddos.  I highly recommend it.

But let me tell you something, Louisvillagers...  I had a fantastic time, and I love my New England peeps with all my heart.  And yes, I spent the first 18 years of my life in that neck of the woods.  New England has a lot to offer, and I miss a great deal about the place.  But, simply put:  you people are way nicer.

Really, every time I leave Louisville for points north and/or east, I am reminded of just how lovely and pleasant Louisvillagers are.  I felt the same way about New Orleanians, to be honest.  I don't go west enough to have anything to say about the left coasters, but people up north and down east are, as a whole, pretty damned crabby on a good day and good old fashioned rude on a bad one.  To strangers.  And of course, I am totally generalizing.  (And after this trip in particular, I am quite convinced that the Hellmouth of Rudeness is located directly underneath the airport in Baltimore-- sheesh!)  This is pure conjecture, but maybe people in the northeast are in a bad mood all of the time because the cost of living is so high up in those parts.  But you'd think that the easy access to reasonably-priced lobster would mitigate that...

Anyway, point is, my dears:  thanks for always making it a pleasure to come home.  Sure I could have used a few more days of swimming holes and mountain hikes (and everyone could use a few more blood orange margaritas in their lives), but the moment I hit baggage claim at SDF and was helped out by a smiling stranger, I was already glad to be back in the Ville.

Y'all rock, Louisvillagers.

Back to "work" tomorrow!

No comments: